We have developed two model-based techniques for electrode compensation in single-electrode intracellular recordings.
Active Electrode Compensation is a technique that estimates a non-parametric linear model of the electrode and then uses it to remove electrode artifacts from intracellular recordings (Brette et al., 2007; 2008a ; 2008b). It is a generalization of bridge compensation and is useful in challenging cases where injected current varies quickly (in particular in dynamic clamp). This work was in collaboration with theoreticians (in particular Alain Destexhe) and experimentalists (in particular Zuzanna Piwkowska and Thierry Bal) at UNIC. The quality of AEC was verified by collaborators with 2-electrode recordings (Badel et al. 2008).
We also developed a parametric electrode compensation technique based on model fitting, which can track time-varying properties of the electrode (Rossant et al 2012). The electrode model is less complex than in AEC, but it can be fitted offline with arbitrary input currents and even if the neuron is spiking.
We edited a book entitled « Handbook of neural activity measurement » (Brette & Destexhe 2012b), about modelling neural measurements including a chapter about intracellular electrophysiology (Brette & Destexhe 2012a).
- Badel L, Lefort S, Brette R, Petersen CC, Gerstner W, Richardson MJ (2008). Dynamic I-V curves are reliable predictors of naturalistic pyramidal-neuron voltage traces. J Neurophysiol 99(2):656-66.
- Brette R and A. Destexhe (2012a). Intracellular recording. Chapter in Handbook of neural activity measurement. Cambridge University Press.
- Brette R and A. Destexhe (eds) (2012b). Handbook of neural activity measurement. Cambridge University Press.
- Brette R, Piwkowska Z, Monier C, Gomez J, Frégnac Y, Bal T, Destexhe A (2008a). Dynamic clamp with high resistance electrodes in vitro and in vivo. Chapter in Dynamic Clamp, Bal T and Destexhe A (eds).
- Brette R, Piwkowska Z, Monier C, Rudolph-Lilith M, Fournier J, Levy M, Frégnac Y, Bal T, Destexhe A (2008b). High-resolution intracellular recordings using a real-time computational model of the electrode. Neuron 59(3):379-91. (code)
- Brette, R., Piwkowska, Z., Rudolph, M., Bal, and A. Destexhe (2007). A non-parametric electrode model for intracellular recording. Neurocomputing 70(10-12): 1597-1601 (Conference proceedings, CNS 2006, Edinburgh, UK).
- Rossant C, Fontaine B, Magnusson AK, Brette R (2012). A calibration-free electrode compensation method. J Neurophys 108 (9), 2629-2639.